We might all agree to this term that everyone desires a healthy and flexible body .Some people are found to be more flexible while others are less , Having a greater strength and flexibility in your body keeps you away from muscular imbalances which further reduces injuries .
Also flexibility have many other benefits such as
- Your body experience less aches and pains.
- It provide much more strength to the body .
- It makes you emotionally stable .
- It improves your posture .
- It provides more balance to the body .
Now the question arises if having a flexible body will be so much beneficial , Is there any way to achieve it ?
Yes there are probably different ways to achieve flexibility but easiest of them is none other than Yoga !
So here are some of the yoga poses which will improve your flexibility :-
1. Eye of the Needle Pose (Sucirandhrasana)
It improve the range of motion of hamstring and hip muscles . It stretches the muscles around the hips .
- Lie on the ground by keeping your face up and the knees bent and your feet should be flat on the floor .
- Now slowly bring your left knee to the chest , Then lift your left thigh by crossing it over your body to rest on your thigh .
- Lift your right foot off the floor.
- Now put your left hand through the legs , like threading a needle . Now bring your right hand behind the right thigh for letting it meet the left hand .
- Keep your feet flexed and exhale and slowly bring your right thigh towards the chest .
2. Plow Pose (Halasana)
It improves the mobility of the joints . It provides strength to your shoulders , arms and even to legs .
- Lie on the ground with supine position (face upward) .
- Keep your arms alongside the body . Press your palms into the floor.
- Raise your legs straight up and slowly bring them over your head .
- Your hands should be placed on the lower back .
3. Wide-Angle Seated Forward Bend Pose (Upavistha Konasana)
It lengthens your spine and helps in improving your posture . It cures sciatica and relieves arthritis.
- Sit on the ground and open your legs as wide as you can while being comfortable .
- Keep your toes pointing towards the sky .
- In case they are pointing towards outside , then moves your legs a bit closer .
- Extend your arms overhead .
- Fold forward your hips and your hands towards the feet .
- You can hold this asana for 1-2 minutes .
4. Garland Pose (Malasana)
This asana is a great hip opener . It stretches your thighs , hips and torso . It also tone your abdominal organs .
- Stand straight in mountain pose first . Now keep your legs hip-width apart .
- Now bend your elbows and bring your hands together in prayer position . Your hands should be near the chest .
- By bending your knees , slowly sit towards the bottom . Now lower your hips towards the ground and slowly sit on soles of your feet .
- Your thighs should be wider and hips should remain close to the ankles . in simple words , you have to squat down until your hips are hovering above the floor .
For little bit easiness you can place a block of blankets under your sit bones.
5. Downward dog Pose ( Adho Mukha Svanasana )
It helps in improving your posture . It not only strengthens your upper body but also provides stretch to the lower body . It is also an effective pose to relax and calm your mind .
- Lie on the floor with your frontside towards the floor .
- Keep your hands shoulder width apart with your shoulders above your wrist . Now align your inner shoulders with your index fingers .
- Tuck your toes against the ground and extend your legs and lift your both knees into the air. Now make your body into “V” shape.
- Extend your spine by pressing palms of your hands and balls of your feet. Pull your pelvis up by using the triceps in your upper arms to stable your body .
Many other poses such as bridge pose , boat pose , cow face pose will also be beneficial for improving flexibility . So keep yourself motivated and start it 🙂